Third Year Resident
What are your career interests?
General Dermatology, Skin of Color, Serving Undeserved Population, Itch, as well as Procedural Dermatology and Medical Devices/Innovation.
Why did you choose Duke for residency training?
Duke Dermatology Residency Program is well-rounded and provides a variety of unique clinical opportunities. By receiving my training from Duke, I knew that essential clinical values would be heavily instilled in the way that I practice and my interests in research and innovation would be fostered. During my interview day, I loved the genuine happiness of the residents, the mission and values of the program, and the emphasis the program has on promoting diversity.
Education & Training
Undergraduate: University of Michigan, B.S., Biology, 2013
Medical School: Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, M.D., 2019
Internship: Transition Year, Mercy Hospital, St. Louis, MO, 2019-2020
Residency: Dermatology, Duke University, 2020 - 2023
Awards & Honors
- Tylenol Future Care Scholarship, Tylenol, August 2017
- AAD Diversity Mentorship Program Award, American Academy of Dermatology Association, February-December 2017
- Dr. Frank O. Richards Medical Student Scholarship Prize, Washington University School of Medicine, November 2016
- Dean’s Fellowship, Washington University School of Medicine MA/MD Research Program, April 2016
- Scholars in Medicine Scholarship, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, August 2015
- College of Literature, Science, and the Arts Global Experience Scholarship, University of Michigan, May 2012
- Frank Caleb & Margaret Thompson Gates Scholarship to attend the University of Michigan Biological Station, June 2012
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) Poster Award, University of Michigan, April 2010
Publications & Presentations
- McCoy WH 4th, Otchere E, Rosa BA, Martin J, Mann CM, Mitreva M. Skin Ecology during Sebaceous Drought-How Skin Microbes Respond to Isotretinoin. J Invest Dermatol. 2019;139(3):732-735. doi:10.1016/j.jid.2018.09.023.
- Otchere E, Wang CX, Compton LA, Nahmias Z. Eruption of solitary reticulohistiocytoma after intense pulsed light burn. JAAD Case Rep. 2018;4(10):1039-1041. Published 2018 Nov 10. doi:10.1016/j.jdcr.2018.08.007.
- McCoy WH 4th, Otchere E, Musiek AC, Anadkat MJ. Granulomatous dermatitis as a postherpetic isotopic response in immunocompromised patients: A report of 5 cases. JAAD Case Rep. 2018;4(8):752-760. Published 2018 Sep 14. doi:10.1016/j.jdcr.2018.05.024.
- Garrett G, Blanc P, Boscardin J, [et al. including Otchere E]. Incidence of and Risk Factors for Skin Cancer in Organ Transplant Recipients in the United States. JAMA Dermatol. 2017;153(3):296-303. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2016.4920.
- Otchere E., McCoy WH 4th, Rosa B, Martin J, Mann C, Mitreva M. (2017). The Skin Microbiome Associated Propionibacterium acnes Response to Systemic Isotretinoin Acne Therapy. The McDonnell Genome Institute Work-in-Progress Seminar: St. Louis Missouri, May 16th, 2017.
- Otchere E, Menagi S, Csankovszki G. (2014). The Effects of Argonaute Gene Mutations on Dosage Compensation Onset and Phenotypes in C. elegans. Annual Michigan C. elegans Meeting: Holland, MI, February 22nd, 2014.
- Otchere E, Mernoff E, Graves D, Baird C. (2012). Dreissena polymorpha (Zebra Mussel) behavior in response to injured conspecifics and predation by Orconectes virilis (Virile Crayfish). University of Michigan Biological Station Research Symposium: Pellston, MI, August 16th, 2012.
- McCoy WH 4th, Otchere E, Rosa B, Martin J, Mann C, Mitreva M. (2018) The acne microbiome response to isotretinoin therapy. Presentation by McCoy WH 4th at the American Acne and Rosacea Society (AARS) Symposium, Orlando, FL, May 16, 2018.
- McCoy WH 4th, Otchere E, Rosa B, Martin J, Mann C, Mitreva M. (2018) The acne microbiome response to isotretinoin therapy. Poster presented by McCoy WH 4th at the International Investigative Dermatology, Orlando, FL, May 16-19, 2018.
- Thiboutot D, Tan J, Frey M, Patel M, Otchere E, Eady A, Layton A. (2018) Acne Core Outcomes Research Network: Consensus on outcomes to measure: Next Steps. Poster presented by Thiboutot D at the International Investigative Dermatology, Orlando, FL, May 16-19, 2018.
- McCoy WH 4th, Otchere E, Rosa B, Martin J, Mann C, and Mitreva M. (2018) The skin microbiome response to isotretinoin in acne vulgaris patients. Poster presented by McCoy WH 4th at the Institute of Clinical and Translational Sciences Symposium and Poster Session: Advancing Precision Medicine through Translational Genomics: St. Louis, MO, January 16, 2018.
- Thiboutot D, Tan J, Frey M, Patel M, Otchere E, Layton A, Eady A. (2017) Acne Core Outcomes Research Network: Consensus on outcomes to measure. Poster presented by Thiboutot D at the Society of Investigative Dermatology Annual Meeting 2017, Portland, Oregon, April 26-28, 2017.
- Garrett G, Arron S. [et al. including Otchere E] (2016). Incidence of Skin Cancer in Organ Transplant Recipients: A US Population-based Study. Poster presented by Garrett G and Arron S at the Society for Investigative Dermatology Meeting: Scottsdale, AZ, May 11-14, 2016.
- McCoy WH 4th, Otchere E, Musiek A, Anadkat M. (2016). Granulomatous post‐herpetic isotopic response in immunocompromised patients: A report of 5 cases and review of the literature. Poster presented by McCoy WH 4th at the Medical Dermatology Society Annual Meeting: Washington D.C. March 6th, 2016.
- Otchere E, McCoy WH 4th, Musiek A, Anadkat M. (2015). Granulomatous Dermatitis as a Post-Herpetic Response in Immunosuppressed Patients: A Report of 5 Cases. Washington University School of Medicine 2015 Research Training Symposium: St. Louis, MO, October 22nd, 2015.
- Brouhard E, Otchere E, Csankovski G. (2014). Studying Protein Localization and Interactions in Dosage Compensation. Poster presented by Brouhard E at the University of Michigan Molecular, Cellular, and Development Biology Department Retreat: Ann Arbor, MI, May 11th, 2014.
- Otchere E, Caldwell C. (2010). Depression and Stress Among African American Adolescent Fathers and Their Relationship with Their Patients: The Young Father’s Study. Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program Spring Research Symposium: Ann Arbor, MI, April 21st, 2010.