First Year Resident
What are your career interests?
General dermatology, skin of color, health equity, psychodermatology
Why did you choose Duke for residency training?
Duke stood out as a well-rounded and collegial program with friendly and compassionate residents, attendings, and staff. Additionally, I heavily resonated with the department's mission and commitment to inclusivity, equity, and service. Matching into the Diversity and Community Engagement position leverages many opportunities for hands-on experience and exposure to a diverse range of dermatological conditions and patient populations, which is invaluable for my professional development. I am confident that Duke will provide me with the knowledge, skills, and experiences necessary to excel in my career as a dermatologist. Durham also offers affordable living options while being conveniently located close to family and friends in Virginia.
Education & Training
Undergraduate: University of Virginia, BS, Biomedical Engineering, 2016
Medical School: Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, MD, 2022
Internship: Transitional Year, Geisinger Bloomsburg Hospital, 2022-2023
Residency: Dermatology, Duke University 2023-2026
Awards & Honors
- Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award for Graduating Medical Students Award, May 2022
- Alphonse E. Leure-Dupree Exemplary Medical Student Award, May 2022
- Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine Translating Health Systems Symposium Winning Poster Presentation, February 2022
- ScrubCaps for a Cause Scholarship, February 2022
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, September 2021
- Skin of Color Update Virtual Medical Student Scholarship Recipient, August 2021; September 2020
- Arnold P. Gold Humanism Honor Society, April 2021
- American Academy of Dermatology Diversity Mentorship Program Recipient, January 2021
- Milton S. Hershey Medical Center Department of Dermatology Travel Award, January 2020
- Symposium of Hidradenitis Suppurativa Advances Travel Award, November 2019
- Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine - University Park Scholarship, April 2018
- Atlantic Coast Conference InVenture Prize (Runner-Up), April 2016
- Virginia-North Carolina Alliance Louis Stokes Poster Presentation (Runner-Up), April 2016
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students Outstanding Poster Presentation, April 2015
- Academic Excellence of High Honors Award, December 2012
Publications & Presentations
Hereford BM, Helm M, Merelo Alococer V, Flamm A. ASDP Interactive Case Study of the Month: Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasm. American Society of Dermatopathology. March 2023.
Hereford B, James WD. Skin of color representation in dermatology atlases. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2022 Dec;87(6):1434-1435. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2022.08.003. Epub 2022 Aug 8. PMID: 35952831.
Hereford B, Kim Y, Zaenglein AL, Hollins LC. Photographic representation of skin tones in three dermatology journals. Pediatr Dermatol. 2021 Nov;38 Suppl 2:146-148. doi: 10.1111/pde.14766. Epub 2021 Aug 21. PMID: 34418149.
Kellner TE, Hereford BM, Stephens MB. Assessing the Impact of Medical Student Outreach Program During Coronavirus-19 Pandemic. Journal of Regional Medical Campuses. October 2021. 4(3).
Hereford B, Maczuga S, Flamm A. Allergic Contact Dermatitis and Concomitant Dermatologic Diseases: A Retrospective Study. Dermatitis. 2021 Jul-Aug 01;32(4):251-255. doi: 10.1097/DER.0000000000000676. PMID: 33273231.
Hereford BM, Helm MF, Flamm A, Green B, Kirby JS. Lipoma. Penn State Journal of Medicine Image Challenge. October 2020.
Hereford BM, Kirby JS. What's the Risk of Lymphoma in People with Hidradenitis Suppurativa?. Hidradenitis Suppurativa Foundation, Inc. Research Summary. September 2020.
Kirby JS, Hereford B, Thorlacius L, Villumsen B, Ingram JR, Garg A, Butt M, Esmann S, King T, Tan J, Jemec GBE. Validation of global item for assessing impact on quality of life of patients with hidradenitis suppurativa. Br J Dermatol. 2021 Apr;184(4):681-687. doi: 10.1111/bjd.19344. Epub 2020 Sep 3. PMID: 32602129; PMCID: PMC7887568.
Oral and Poster Presentations
Hereford BM, Chopra S, Kawmi N et al. Improving LGBTQ+ Care: An Intervention at Penn State Health Dermatology Clinic. Penn State College of Medicine Translating Health Systems Symposium. Hershey, PA (Zoom). February 2022.
Hereford BM, Kim Y, Zaenglein A, Hollins LC. Photographic Representation of Skin Tones in Three Dermatology Journals. Penn State Department of Dermatology Annual Research Day. Hershey, PA (Zoom). November 2020. Oral Presentation.
Kellner TE, Hereford BM, Stephens MB. Assessing the Impact of Medical Student Outreach Program During Coronavirus-19 Pandemic. Penn State College of Medicine Class of 2022 Research Symposium. State College, PA (Zoom). October 2020. Poster Presentation.
Hereford BM, Maczuga S, Flamm A. Retrospective Database Study of Allergic Contact Dermatitis and Concomitant Dermatologic Diseases. Women's Dermatologic Society (WDS) Forum. Scottsdale, AZ. February 2020. Oral and Poster Presentation.
Hereford BM, Kirby JS, Thorlacius L et al. Validation of Patient Global Item for Quality of Life Impact on Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Symposium of Hidradenitis Suppurativa Advances (SHSA). Detroit, MI. November 2019. Oral Presentation.