Lauren Floyd, MD
What are your career interests?
Medical and surgical dermatology, patient safety, and access to care.
Why did you choose Duke for residency training?
I chose Duke for residency training due its strong academic program and diversity of the patient population. It is a well-rounded dermatology program, with strong leadership and mentors with both clinical and research interests.
Education & Training
Undergraduate: University of Virginia, BA Environmental Sciences/Economics, 2012
Medical School: Duke University, MD, 2018
Internship: Internal Medicine, Duke University, 2018-2019
Residency: Dermatology, Duke University, 2019-2022
Awards & Honors
- William G. Anlyan Senior Scholarship, Duke University School of Medicine
- Kenneth G. Elzinga Scholarship for Academic Excellence, University of Virginia
- Echols Scholar, University of Virginia
- Pontius LN, Youngwirth LM, Thomas SM, Scheri RP, Roman SA, Sosa JA. Lymphovascular invasion is associated with survival for papillary thyroid cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2016;23(7):555-562. doi:10.1530/ERC-16-0123.
- Suwanpradid J, Shih M, Pontius L, et al. Arginase1 Deficiency in Monocytes/Macrophages Upregulates Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase To Promote Cutaneous Contact Hypersensitivity. J Immunol. 2017;199(5):1827-1834. doi:10.4049/jimmunol.1700739.
- Pontius LN, Oyekunle TO, Thomas SM, et al. Projecting Survival in Papillary Thyroid Cancer: A Comparison of the Seventh and Eighth Editions of the American Joint Commission on Cancer/Union for International Cancer Control Staging Systems in Two Contemporary National Patient Cohorts. Thyroid. 2017;27(11):1408-1416. doi:10.1089/thy.2017.0306.
- Anderson KL Jr, Thomas SM, Adam MA, et al. Each procedure matters: threshold for surgeon volume to minimize complications and decrease cost associated with adrenalectomy. Surgery. 2018;163(1):157-164. doi:10.1016/j.surg.2017.04.028.
- Pontius LN, Hooten J, Lesesky E, et al. A comparison of knowledge acquisition and perceived efficacy of a traditional vs flipped classroom-based dermatology residency curriculum. Cutis. 2020;105(1):36-39.
- Petty AJ, Floyd L, Henderson C, Nicholas MW. Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus: Progress and Challenges. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2020;20(5):12. Published 2020 Apr 4. doi:10.1007/s11882-020-00906-8.
- Kwock JT, Handfield C, Suwanpradid J, et al. IL-27 signaling activates skin cells to induce innate antiviral proteins and protects against Zika virus infection. Sci Adv. 2020;6(14):eaay3245. Published 2020 Apr 1. doi:10.1126/sciadv.aay3245.