- Monthly Dermatopathology lectures with outside dermatopathologist -- Dr. Phadke
- Weekly faculty lectures covering pharmacology, board review, or subspecialty topics
- Quarterly Fireside Chats with Dr. Hall (ethics, professionalism)
- Monthly Journal Club
- 7:30-8:15: Dermatopathology session with path fellow
- 8:15-9:15: Grand Rounds
- guest faculty and departmental faculty lectures
- research faculty lectures
- resident lectures (elective updates, senior talks, cases)
- morbidity and mortality conference
- 9:15-10:30: Bolognia Textbook Review - hosted by residents
- 10:30-11:30: Dermatopathology with Dr. Selim or Dr. Ellington
- 11:30-12:30: Faculty Lecture or Board Review or Pharmacology lecture or Resident Meeting with Program Directors
- 12:30-12:45: monthly JAAD CME review
- Conferences are held at Duke or UNC 1-2 times per month
- Live patient viewing followed by resident-led case discussion
- Visiting professors of national and international reputation are invited to speak at three conferences per year. List of past visiting professors.
Quarterly Cosmetic Dermatology Lectures - with Dr. Zoe Draelos
Quarterly Advanced Surgical Lectures - with Dr. Cook
Additional Curriculum Experiences
- Quarterly Resident Retreats on Wednesday Mornings (mentor meetings, career development sessions, team-building sessions)
- Generous conference policy including first and third year attendance at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology. Additional conference opportunities exist and all residents are encouraged to present papers at specialty meetings within dermatology, such as dermatology surgery, dermatopatholgy and pediatric dermatology. Residents are required to submit an abstract to attend national conferences.
- Elective experiences are available to second and third year dermatology residents.
Monthly Duke-UNC Conference
These conferences are held twice a month. Each conference highlights 5 cases, with patient viewing followed by academic discussion. Residents and faculty from both training programs, in addition to local dermatologists, regularly attend.
Each year visiting professors of national and international reputation are invited for special two-day courses. Work schedules are interrupted so that maximum attendance can be achieved. Visiting professors' interaction with residents is maximized with meals, lectures, rounds and Duke-UNC conferences. List of past visiting professors