Michael Garner,. MD
What are your career interests?
My career interests include skin cancer prevention, early diagnosis, and treatment. I also have a special interest in dermoscopy.
Why did you choose Duke for residency training?
I chose Duke because the world-class faculty and residents create an ideal training environment. I feel incredibly fortunate to be part of such a collegial and team-focused department.
Education & Training
Undergraduate: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Bachelor of Arts, Spanish, 2007
Medical School: University of North Carolina School of Medicine, MD, 2015
Internship: Transitional Year, Spartanburg Regional Hospital, 2015-2016
PGY-2, Dermatology, University of North Carolina, 2016-2017
PGY-3, Dermatology, East Carolina University, 2017-2018
Awards & Honors
- UNC School of Medicine Loyalty Fund “Dr. and Mrs. James A Spruill Scholarship” recipient.
- Enoxaparin induced hemorrhagic bullae. Lecture at: NC Dermatology 2018 Annual Meeting; 2018 Jan 21; Charleston, SC.
- Review of glucocorticosteroids. Lecture at: Thirty-first Annual Billy E. Jones Down-East Dermatology Day; 2018 Apr 13; Greenville, NC.
- Ahn, C. S., Dothard, E. H., Garner, M. L., Feldman, S. R., & Huang, W. W. (2015). To test or not to test? An updated evidence-based assessment of the value of screening and monitoring tests when using systemic biologic agents to treat psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 73(3), 420-428.
- Garner, M. L., McShane, D. B., Burkhart, C. N., & Morrell, D. S. (2015). Isotretinoin and vitiligo: can chronic cheilitis cause koebnerization? Pediatric dermatology, 32(3), e108-e109.
- Bradford L, Despotes KA, Garner ML, Gonzalez JA, McBride JA, Moore A, O'Connor KE, Sanchez CL. A study of the effects of educational level on various health parameters in a rural Mexican population. Poster session presented at: 19th Annual Research Presentations of the NC Academy of Family Physicians; 2012 Nov 29 – Dec 2; Asheville, NC.