Jigar Patel, MD
What are your career interests?
Dermatologic surgery, digital health, quality improvement, and patient safety.
Why did you choose Duke for residency training?
I chose Duke for residency training because I wanted a diverse clinical experience. The faculty members at Duke are focused on educating residents to become excellent clinicians and academic leaders. Additionally, I also chose Duke because of the opportunity to provide care to our veterans through its affiliation with the Durham VA Medical Center.
Education & Training
Undergraduate: Virginia Commonwealth University, BS in Economics, 2011
Medical School: Eastern Virginia Medical School, MD, 2016
Internship: Transitional Year, Riverside Regional Medical Center, Newport News, Virginia, 2016-2017
Awards & Honors
- Duke Dermatology Residency Program, Chief Resident (2019 – Present)
- Advancing Innovation in Dermatology Scholar (2019 – Present)
- Duke Innovation and Entrepreneurship Incubation Fund (2019 – Present)
- American Academy of Dermatology Resident International Grant Elective in Botswana (2019)
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery Educational Grant (2019)
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Resident Scholarship (2018)
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, Resident Liaison (2017-2018)
- Alpha Omega Alpha, President, EVMS Chapter (2015 – 2016)
- EVMS Verizon Scholarship
- Patel J, Degesys CA, Merritt BG. Reconstructing and Restoring the Contour of an Eyebrow Defect. Dermatol Surg. Accepted 2019 May.
- Coates M, Patel J, Powers C, Burton C. Laser-Assisted Delivery of Topical Cidofovir in the Treatment of Plantar Warts.J Drugs Dermatol. Accepted 2019 Feb.
- Patel J, Ranjit-Reeves R, Woodward J. Recurrent Xanthelasmas Treated with Intralesional Deoxycholic Acid. Dermatol Surg. 2019 Mar. [Epub ahead of print].
- Fixen E, Patel J, Selim MA, Kheterpal M. Resolution of Pembrolizumab-Associated Steroid Refractory Lichenoid Dermatitis with Cyclosporine in a Patient with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Oncologist. 2019 Mar;24(3):e103-e105.
- Chateau A, Patel J, Dlova N. Pediatric Dermatology Photoquiz: A Vesiculopapular Eruption in an Infant with Trisomy 21. Pediatr Dermatol. 2018 Nov;35(6):831-2.
- Patel J, Parr K, Buehler-Bota T, Hood AF. Integrating Outpatient Teledermatology Education Into the Dermatology Resident Curriculum. J Grad Med Educ. 2016 Jul;8(3):468-9.
- Patel J, Bota J, Salkey K. The Role of Preoperative Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Dermatologic Surgery in Patients with Left Ventricular Assist Devices. Dermatol Surg. 2015 Nov;41(11):1337-9.
- Patel J, Cavero VY, Perkins A, Minto H, Morales MB. Evaluation Of a Medication Adherence Estimator Survey Compared To Exhaled Nitric Oxide (FeNO) Levels and Asthma Control Test In Difficult-To-Treat/Severe Pediatric Asthma Patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014 Feb;133(2):AB43.
- Patel J, Coates M, Powers C, Burton C. Fractional Laser-Assisted Delivery of Topical Cidofovir in the Treatment of Recalcitrant Plantar Warts. Presented at the American Society for American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery Annual Meeting (March 2019).
- Patel J, Ranjit-Reeves R, Woodward J. Recurrent Xanthelasmas Treated with Intralesional Deoxycholic Acid.Presented at the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Annual Meeting (Oct 2018).
- Patel J, Burton C, Selim MA. Recurrent Systemic Follicular Lymphoma Presenting as Facial Nodules. Presented at the North Carolina Dermatology Association Annual Meeting (Jan 2018) and the American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting (Feb 2018).
- Li L, Patel J, Buehler-Bota T, Bota J, Parr K. Symptomatic Improvement of Keloids with 5-Fluorouracil Injections.Presented at the Skin of Color Symposium (Nov 2015) and Annual Southeastern Consortium for Dermatology (Oct 2015).
- Patel J, Cavero VY, Perkins A, Minto H, Morales MB. Evaluation Of a Medication Adherence Estimator Survey Compared To Exhaled Nitric Oxide (FeNO) Levels and Asthma Control Test In Difficult-To-Treat/Severe Pediatric Asthma Patients. Presented at the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Annual Meeting (March 2014).