Christopher Henderson, MD, MPhil
What are your career interests?
I am primarily interested in improving the value of medical services for patients, broadening the reach of medical care to underserved members of society, and increasing the efficiency of hospitals and clinics.
Why did you choose Duke for residency training?
I wanted to train in a top academic medical center and maximize the diversity of the patient population with whom I would train. I also wanted to live in a friendly, affordable community with great transport access to see family and friends. Among its peer hospitals, Duke distinguished itself by offering all three qualities.
Education & Training
Undergraduate: Georgetown University, Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service, 2003
Graduate: University of Cambridge, Master of Philosophy in International Relations, 2004
Medical School: Harvard Medical School, Doctor of Medicine, 2016
Internship: Internal Medicine, Duke University, 2016 - 2017
Awards & Honors
- Appleseed Resident Teaching Award, Duke University Hospital, 2017
- Bronze Star Medal, Afghanistan, 2012
- Distinguished Meritorious Service Medal, Iraq 2007
- Distinguished Graduate, Air Force Intelligence, 2005
- International Student Scholarship, Cambridge, 2003
- Distinguished Graduate, Air Force Officer Training, 2003
- Renati, S., Aluko, A., Henderson, C., Burgin, S.. Basal cell carcinoma of the vulva: A case report and systematic review of the literature. International Journal of Dermatology. 2018, Sep; Pub Status: In revision with journal.
- Leverenz DL, Henderson C, Shah A. Atypical Cutaneous Presentations of Sarcoidosis: Two Case Reports and Review of the Literature. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports. 2018 Aug 1;18(8):40.
- Flier LA, Henderson CR, Treasure CL. Time to Eliminate the Step 2 Clinical Skills Examination for US Medical Graduates. JAMA Intern Med. 2016;176(9):1245-1246. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.3753
- Henderson, C and Morris, N. Why are we wasting future MDs’ time and money with this pointless test? Los Angeles Times. 2016 March 29.
- Henderson, C., Cardones, A. (2018). Chronic Cutaneous and Oral Ulcers Preceding Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia. E-poster presented at American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting; San Diego, CA.
- Henderson, C., Nahmias, Z., Huang, S.. (2016). Analysis of patient-provider interaction through OpenNotes system in Dermatology. Poster presented at American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting; Washington, DC.
- Aluko, A., Henderson, C., Renati, S., Burgin, S.. (2016). Basal cell carcinoma of the vulva: a case report and systematic review of the literature. Poster presented at Annual Clinical and Scientific Meeting, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; Washington, DC.